Union PDX - Festival of Contemporary Dance seeks professional dance companies and artists to present work November 13-15, 2020, at the Hampton Opera Center (Portland Opera) in Portland, OR.
Established by Portland-based company push/FOLD, Union PDX endeavors to strengthen dance-art by providing a platform devoted to the upward development of artists and dancers. Selected festival artists will perform at the acclaimed Hampton Opera Center, teach advanced and professional level dancers, engage with audiences through post-show Artist-Talks and facilitated Q&As, network with fellow artists, and celebrate the craft of dance during the closing Soirée.
By compiling professional-level artists in a high-caliber and curated festival format, we have the honor of highlighting the artists paramount to the future of dance in a format attractive to presenters and representatives of major arts and educational organizations. Regional, national, and international artists and companies with a focus on making contemporary work from ANY dance genre or tradition are encouraged to apply. Interested artists may submit up to two (2) works. Works up to a maximum of 24 minutes are acceptable.
Questions related to the festival and application process, including becoming a festival partner, should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responses may be from the push/FOLD or Union PDX administrative teams.
Important Dates (2020)
- Application Deadline: May 22nd @ 11:59pm
- Festival Invitations: July 1st
- 2 Festival Participant Check-Ins: August 21st & October 2nd
- Festival Performance Dates: November 12-15 (includes tech/dress rehearsals)
- Public Festival Performances: November 13-14 @ 7:00pm, & November 15 @ 4pm
- The festival is open to all regional, national, and international artists/groups from ANY dance genre or tradition with a focus on creating contemporaneous work within their form.
- Artists/Groups should have a demonstrated minimum three (3) years of professional choreographic experience.
- Material submitted MUST be the work that you plan to present at the festival. Rehearsal videos will be accepted.
- Each artist/group can submit a maximum of two (2) works. Each work requires a separate application.
- To be considered, ensemble work (2+ dancers) should be at a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of 24 minutes in length. Solos should be between 4 -13 minutes.
- Works in progress are accepted and considered, but the video work sample must show at least 75% of the completed work. Works still in conceptual form will not be considered.
- Submitted videos should not be edited except to show different angles/focuses from a single continuous performance. Promotional videos will not be considered.
- Nudity and strong language are acceptable, but gratuitous works will not be considered (determination of which is at the discretion of the curatorial team).
- In selecting works for consideration, please be mindful that performances will be in 3/4-round thrust configuration with primarily top lighting.
- Professional Photographs and Video of Work.
- Performance Stipend (between $500 - $900). The amount is based on several factors including the length of the work.
- $100 is provided to artists/groups teaching a 90 minute masterclass.
The push/FOLD creative and Union PDX festival teams, consisting of individuals from various racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds review all applications. Strong submissions will demonstrate a clarity to artistic vision, professional execution within your form, and a devotion to pushing artistic boundaries and advancing the craft of movement.
Venue: Portland OperaHampton Opera Center
211 SE Caruthers St.
Portland, OR 97214